Bachelor of Arts (Journalism and Political Science) — 2011 – current
Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, VIC
Key Study Areas:
- Media Law
- International Relations
- Australian Politics
- Digital Video and Audio Editing
Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA — Semester 1, 2013
Key Study Areas:
- Comparative Politics
- History of American Journalism
- Received the Ambassador Scholarship for my international exchange to Northeastern University.
Tasmanian Certificate of Education
Marist Regional College, Burnie, TAS — 2010
- Traveled to Christchurch, New Zealand to participate in the Marist Youth Leader program — 20101
- Elected to student representative council — 2010
Opinion Writer, The Guardian; Sydney, NSW — August 2013 – current
As an opinion writer for The Guardian I was required to write weekly opinion pieces on the upcoming federal election as a part of The Guardian’s Youth Forum.
Journalist, The Burn; Melbourne, VIC — August 2013 – current
As a journalist at The Burn, I am required to develop and write articles that will be publish as both online content and in the magazine’s print copy.
News Presenter and Producer, SYN; Melbourne, VIC — July – December 2012
At SYN 90.7FM radio I was the Thursday drive-time radio presenter for six months. I was require to compile the daily news and prepare a script that I would read on-air. This was a voluntary position and gave me great insight into the workings of broadcast journalism.
Editorial Intern, Key Media; Sydney, NSW —June – July 2012
As an editorial intern at Key Media I was placed on the magazine Your Investment Property Magazine where I was required to interview property investors and write profiles on their success. I was also required to investigate with other journalists suburbs across Australia and find locales where there is an upcoming property boom. I was published in the August 2012 edition of Your Investment Property Magazine.
- Abilities to find the news angle in a story and produce a journalistic piece by deadline demonstrated through journalist at The Burn
- Demonstrated ability in writing hard news articles for publication as well as audio and video packages for broadcast as shown through News Reader at SYN 90.7FM
- Experienced in sourcing credible contacts through social media, online or organisations that can be used as interviewees in journalistic pieces through my role as editorial intern at Key Media
- The ability to produce succinct headlines that provide radio listeners enough information as shown through my experience as a news reader and producer at SYN 90.7FM
- Ability to cooperate in a team environment as seen through my employment at Unilodge Australia.
- As shown through my ability to work together with other journalists at Key Media to investigate suburbs across Australia that will be successful investment locations
- Demonstrated through my ability to remain dedicated to a journalism profession throughout my degree and by giving myself an advantage by undertaking several internships across Australia.
- Demonstrated through my strong compassion for gaining journalistic experience outside of university and having an online portfolio where I publish my own articles and A/V packages as shown through www.benhansen92.wordpress.com
- As shown through my ability to travel to the United States of America and study for six months without knowing anyone as shown through my international exchange at Northeastern University.
- Demonstrated through my ability to undertake two journalistic experiences that require me to file stories weekly, while still undertaking my journalism degree as shown opinion writer for The Guardian and journalist for The Burn.
Download a more detailed version of my resumé